top of page
< Back


Save this article  > 

How to Avoid Capital Gains Tax on Rental Property in Canada?

Toronto Condo Team CA
Publication date:
November 24, 2022
Article Summary: 

In Canada, capital gains tax is a tax on the profit made when an asset is sold. If you sell a rental property for more than you paid for it, you will be taxed on any profits. However, there are ways to avoid paying this tax, such as by claiming the principal residence exemption or carrying forward capital losses from previous years. You can also defer the sale and repurchase of the property, transfer ownership to a spouse or common-law partner, designate gifted and inherited property as a principal residence, or incorporate your rental property business. To qualify for the principal residence exemption, you must have lived in the house for at least one year before selling it, and it must be your primary residence. There are also exemptions if you transfer ownership to a spouse or if you designate gifted or inherited property as your principal residence.


Canada, capital gains tax, rental property, profit, taxed, principal residence exemption, carrying forward, capital losses, defer, sale, repurchase, transfer ownership, spouse, common-law partner, designated, gifted, inherited, property, incorporation, primary residence.

Source Citation: 
Toronto Condo Team CA
How to Avoid Capital Gains Tax on Rental Property in Canada?
November 24, 2022
Did you find this article useful? 
Your feedback is important not only to us, but to all the other key players in the condo industry.  Help us by letting us know if this article is relevant and useful.  This will help us prioritize articles that provide helpful guidance to other key players like you. 

Please login to use this feature.

bottom of page